“A Practical Guide for Company Directors”- a book by David Duffy, Governance Online.
by Alison Myles
“A Practical Guide for Company Directors” authored by David W Duffy the founder of The Governance Company www.governance-company.com was launched on Wednesday 6th June 2018 to a crowd of over 250 people at Chartered Accountants Ireland. It is also published by Chartered Accountants Ireland. The speakers on the night included Sean Casey, Marie O’Connor and Anne McFarland.
The book was written to provide directors with an easy to use resource to understand their corporate governance responsibilities under the 2014 Companies Act.
Given the plethora of governance issues that have hit the press over the last few months such as INM, HSE Cervical Smears, Glen, Solas – Galway Picture Palace CLG, this book could not have come soon enough.
“This book should be on every directors required reading list. Its practicality coupled with its clarity on the role and responsibilities of directors will enable them to perform their role with much greater insight and confidence”
Anne Heraty, CEO Cpl Resources plc
“With his patient, logical approach, David W Duffy has written a clear and authoritative reference for directors and potential directors who want to understand their corporate responsibilities”
Danny McCoy CEO of Ibec
The book which runs to 335 pages is organised in four parts:
- The Director
- The Board
- Practical Issues for Directors
- Financial Difficulty and Winding up
“A Practical Guide for Company Directors” will be an invaluable resource for those who want to know about what it means to be an effective director in Ireland. Key topics to be covered in the book include:
- The value of due diligence before deciding to accept a directorship
- Company law and the current regulatory environment
- The building blocks of corporate governance
- Differences between the role of nonexecutive and executive directors
- Conflicts of interest and restricted activities
- Financial matters including the consequences of reckless trading
- Risk tolerant and management
- Personal guarantees and indemnities
This is the authors second book The previous book was called “A Practical Guide to Corporate Governance” was also published Chartered Accountants Ireland.
The book can be obtained from Chartered Accountants Ireland from their online shop.
12 Sep 2018 - General